8.18.2017

Ginger stuff

Product: Gin Gins Chewy Ginger Candy
Origin: Confusing. Made in Indonesia for the Ginger People who sell it out of California

First looks

Katie:
Um. It's a brownish bar with like cocaine on it. I'm not sure what else to say. It purports to be chewy as opposed to gummy so I'll try it.

Nick:
I have so many questions. If this is only 10% fresh ginger, what's the rest of this made of? (checks ingredients) Cane sugar and tapioca starch. Hey, that's the same stuff those organic gummi bears were made out of.
I'm also curious about the ginger guy on the front. Is he eating a ginger chew, making him a cannibal, or is he eating himself? How does a piece of ginger have teeth? Is there a non-zero percent chance I'm going to enjoy a candy made without artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives, no gluten, fat free, and vegan? Let's just say my hopes aren't too high.

Post-bite thoughts

Notice how big it is compared to the ring
Katie:
Like the treacle toffee, this stuff is very hard to actually chew. When I did, I couldn't stand the mouthfeel of it. When I simply treated it like a 'melt in your mouth' candy, it got better. It is, however, the most gingery ginger thing I've ever had. More ginger than 1893 Ginger Cola, more ginger than the little piece of pickled ginger you get in supermarket sushi boxes. If you are not over the moon into ginger, you will hate this. I could see keeping the box around for when my stomach is super upset--which happens more than you'd think since my gallbladder was removed a few years ago--but I wouldn't eat this at any other time.

Nick:
Oh, wow. I loathe absolutely everything about this. I despise the somehow tougher-than-toffee mega hard chewy texture, and I hate the taste, which is like the cartoon ginger man from the front of the box took a huge ginger dump right in my mouth. I managed to chew this for two seconds before sprinting to the garbage to spit it out. Why did you do this to us, "the ginger people"? I'm thinking the taste terrorists who made this are actually made out of ginger and didn't realize that normal people can't handle this taste, which is the only reasonable explanation for this disgusting ginger bomb. Shame on you, the ginger people. Shame on you.

Update from Katie: I was still sucking on my piece as I was writing. Then my piece would just not melt or go away from inside my mouth and chewing it was going to make me barf because of the texture. I too ran to the garbage to spit it out. Too much ginger. I couldn't even.

No comments:

Post a Comment