8.12.2017

Bean sticks

Product: Cheddar Bean Stalks
Origin: Connecticut, USA

First looks

Katie:
Another goodie from our Marshalls trip (thanks, Mom!). Also, another gluten-free food. The stalk itself looks like a long piece of ziti with a faint cheesy aroma. Could be fun if you want to play 'pirates who have very tiny, edible telescopes'. I'm cautiously optimistic because the bag is only proclaiming it's gluten free (because we all know how much wheat and wheat by-products there are in vegetables) instead of 'everything' free like the PB&J balls I linked up there.

Nick:
My first reaction to these was intense bogglement. "Cheddar BEAN stalks," I repeated, staring at the bag. What are these even? Did they take bean stalks, fry them up, and add cheddar? On reflection I actually think these might be good; I'm not sure I'm a huge bean stalk fan ("Katie! Russle me up some bean stalks!" I never yell), but I don't see why fried up they shouldn't be perfectly good cheddar delivery devices, and cheddar is my favorite cheese, so I am also cautiously optimistic.

Post-bite thoughts

Katie:
The initial crunch is not as satisfying as a regular chip and my first thought was "these are stale". Then I remembered they're made out of beans, pushing that thought out of my head and going for another bite. I think these are actually pretty good. I promised a friend at work that if I ever found a good gluten-free food, I'd give her the item so these are going to her. A win for gluten-free nonsense for once.
Don't worry, Nick's review is bound to be more amusing than mine.

Nick:
Oh, thanks. I don't have any jokes ready; if these were terrible I'm sure I could come up with something good, but I actually like these quite a bit. They have a nice mild crunch (as Katie said they aren't as crunchy as a potato chip) and the cheddar is quite nice. It's almost like when trying to make gluten free snacks, it makes more sense to take two ingredients without gluten and combine them in a delicious way instead of defying the laws of God and man by trying to make, say, a gluten-free waffle or peanut butter and alien extrusion balls. Gosh! Who'd have known!
PS: Don't worry, Katie's next review is going to be totes amazeballs. No pressure Katie!!! Ha ha!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment