8.03.2017

Bonus Episode: Bear Wizz Root Beer

Product: Bear Wizz Root Beer
Origin: Lake George, NY

First looks

Katie:
Another product with motherflipping bees on it. Nick kindly poured me a glass so at least I don't have to think about drinking bees. Okay, moving on. We are unwittingly supporting local soda brewers (can you brew soda? Let's pretend you can so it sounds better) and picked this up at Price Chopper for the name. Lake George is nearish to us and many people from the larger area go there for the Great Escape theme park, a few water parks, the actual lake, and the Fort William Henry museum. When I went years ago, they fired cannons and I also guess none of this was about the actual root beer.

Nick:
Katie, thanks for that book report. I'm going to focus more on the name; I just can't picture myself going "Hey honey, if you're getting up, can I have a nice cold bottle of Bear Wizz?" I know that the name was picked to be cute and memorable, but can we not? We don't need to be overrun with Rabbit Turd Brand Raisins or Elk Shit Nut Clusters® or whatever. I recognize that we only got this because of the name, but I feel like limiting your market to people who run snarky snack blogs isn't the wisest decision.


Post-bite thoughts

Katie:
Oh you want digression, Mr. Nick? I'll give you digression. Billions of years ago, the universe began. All the matter in the universe was formed in the first few minutes. Eventually, planets began to form from accretion disks...after another long, long time, the first lifeforms--simple single-cell organisms--made the oceans their home. *1 hour later* And that's how babies are born. Babies that grow up to make root beer that is actually pretty good despite the ursa urine name. It's not as creamy vanilla as A&W but nowhere near as "spicy" as other root beers. I vote pick up a case when you're looking for some root beer and a fun way to nicely troll friends by asking if they want some bear wizz (Also, I always thought it was spelled 'whiz'.  Also also, who remembers when Dick's was above The Wiz at Crossgates Mall?)

Nick:
If you think about it, it's kind of amazing that the Big Bang and the formation of all life on earth eventually lead to something that tastes as boring as this root beer. This is perfectly fine root beer; think of any root beer (except Barq's, that stuff is weird) and this tastes like that, except more boring. It's fine; I'll probably polish it off with some pizza one of these days. I guess the creators chose the name to be interesting and stand out; it's not a good sign when what's on the outside of the bottle is more interesting than what's inside. On the upside, it really does taste fine, and I get to type sentences I never thought I would like "I guess I expected more from Bear Wizz".

No comments:

Post a Comment