8.01.2017

Bonus Episode: Watermelon Pop-Tarts

Product: Jolly Rancher Watermelon flavored Pop-Tarts
Origin: USA

First looks

Nick:
I'm a bit worried about these. I like pop-tarts and I like watermelon jolly ranchers, but I don't know that the two of them are going to really go together too well. I like savory pop-tarts (s'mores, oreoes, coffee, vanilla) and I'm not sure how the fruit taste is going to work inside a pop-tart. Then again they do make regular fruit pop tarts, so who knows?

Katie:
I used to really like the old Apple Cinnamon flavor so fruit-based Tarts should be fine. I can't imagine eating these heated up--I was going to say who heats fruit then remembered it's a thing to grill fruit in cooking competitions on tv now. I'm hoping for the normal fake watermelon flavor that Jolly Ranchers have. The green frosting on top reminds me of Ecto Cooler (shout-out to all my 80s and 90s kids...friends).

Post-bite thoughts

Nick:
I'm afraid for once my pre-bite thoughts were spot on: I don't like these very much. They have a strong watermelon jolly rancher smell, but when you actually take a bite, the subtle flavoring of the dough really clashes with the weak watermelon flavor. I think there needed to be more filling, or the filling needed to have more of a taste; the combination doesn't work for me and makes me just want to go out and have a regular watermelon jolly rancher or a s'mores pop tart. By the way, Katie, I dare you to put two of these in the toaster and try them hot.

Katie:
I concede my colleague's point about the dough clashing with the watermelon center but I actually thought the middle of the Pop Tart was fine...maybe not as good as brown sugar cinnamon or the cookie dough ones we used to put in the freezer.  I think the optimal way to eat these would be to forego the crust part. Know how a lot of kids--and adults--won't eat the crust on a sandwich? It's like that but with a Pop Tart. I used to exclusively eat them that way until I leveled up into adulthood and had to spend my own money. Now, I force myself to eat the crappy crust part before I can enjoy the sweet gooey center. Same reason why I eat my burger first then the fries at McD's...you save the best for last to end the meal on a good note. And shush up McD's detractors, McD's is good. They wouldn't have a billionty restaurants if no one liked their food.
PS I am not taking that dare.

No comments:

Post a Comment