7.16.2017

Maple Bacon Flavored Almonds

lol this pic is of my NUTS lol
Product: Crown Nut Co. Maple Bacon Flavored Almonds
Origin: USA

First Looks

Katie:
I'm very nervous right now (stealing Nick's line!). I don't really like eating just a nut. The nuts look...almondy and are encrusted with a sugary substance so...I live in hope.

Nick:
I'm torn on these; I love maple flavor, but I've also had some truly horrible fake bacon flavored items, and the fact that this is vegan isn't making me super hopeful that the baconness is going to taste good. A quick look at the ingredients shows that the bacon flavoring is yeast extract and salt, and that doesn't sound too terribly appetizing. Prove me wrong, creepy anthropomorphized almonds and pig who apparently enjoys being boiled in, what is that, honey? That cover art is so weird. Katie says it's supposed to be maple, but maple's usually dark brown, not bright yellow. Why yes, I am stalling because I'm afraid to try this.

Post-bite thoughts
lol this pic is also of my NUTS lol

Katie:
Is this what vegans think bacon tastes like? It's just salty. I guess it wasn't awful but I cannot get past the mouth-feel of nuts. The act of chewing nuts feels like scraping something against a chalkboard in my mouth. The taste itself was fine. I could see someone throwing these back by the handful on a long car trip or grazing their way through a work day. If you don't already like nuts, skip it. These will not convert you to nut enjoyment.

Nick:
These taste absolutely nothing like maple or bacon, no matter how many cartoon pigs are enjoying getting boiled on the cover; like Katie said, it just tastes like salt. There's a mild sweetness that's pretty nice, but it's 90% just super salty almond. They're not bad; I'd eat them again, but I wouldn't go out of my way to track down more. I guess being fine and boring is better than being interesting and disgusting, even if it doesn't make for the most entertaining blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment