7.27.2017

Tostillas

Product: Tostillas (Nacho Cheese Flavored Tortilla Chips) by Jack'n Jill
Origin: The Philippines

First looks

Nick:
Hey, if that's NACHO cheese.... WHOSE IS IT????? HA HA HA HA (cough) HA HA (wheeze) HA HA HA (hacking cough) ugh. I'm not really sure what to expect out of these; slightly spicy Doritos? They smell like mildly stale old mild cheese, but I'm sure they're going to taste better than that. Then again, do we trust Jack and Jill? They couldn't even stay up on a hill without falling off; can they really make a quality snack chip??

Katie:
The cheese coating is less atomically orange than Doritos. Both Doritos and Tostillas are cheese-coated tortilla chips so the overall look is not dissimilar save for the aforementioned cheese dust coloring. Hoping for a crunchy chip with a non-assy cheese taste.

Post-bite thoughts

Katie:
The tortilla chip is crunchier than a Dorito chip. The cheese taste is sort of like a very mild spicy cheese dip, I suppose. I'd say these are fine. Nacho cheese Doritos are not my favorite--I prefer Cool Ranch or the original 90s pizza flavor--so I'm not quite the target audience for these. I'm sure Nick will have more to say since he's practically made of orange cheese dust with all the Doritos he eats (if you truly were what you eat, he'd be a giant piece of fried chicken encrusted in atomic orange fake cheese).

Nick:
I've accidentally had extremely stale Doritos (sometimes the bag pops and air gets in), and at first bite this is what I thought of - stale Doritos get tough, and the thicker chips used here reminded me of the unpleasant experience of chewing a fossilized Dorito. Luckily, once that impression wore off it turns out these are pretty good; the flavor is more mild than a Dorito, and the extra thickness gives it a nice crunch, although having to chew the chip for twice as long gets old after a little while (yes, that's how much America is in decline; I'm complaining about having to chew snack chips for too long). A nice change of pace, and I ate the whole bag.


No comments:

Post a Comment