11.30.2017

Disney Day 4

Restaurant #1: Morimoto Asia (as opposed to Morimoto South Pole where you just eat snow)
Location: Disney Springs

Katie's Entree: Beef Lo Mein


Katie:
The beef was very good (and you know if I'm saying, that really means something!). The noodles were excellent along with the veggies. The only thing I didn't like was the pickled ginger but it was on the side of the dish as an option so you can easily ignore it. Plus...we got to eat at an Iron Chef's restaurant!!! We're fancy now. Eat at this restaurant, if you can, when you visit Disney Springs. Also, for anyone curious, the Disney Springs portion is nice...it's a huge outdoor shopping zone with "real" stores and places to eat. We stopped at Na Hoku and bought some cool koa wood rings. 

Super sidetrack--The Candlelight Processional was amazing and beautiful. It was well-worth the dinner package so if you're at all interested in that sort of thing, I think you have a wholehearted recommendation from both of us. Okay that was it.

Nick: I had some of this, and my gosh, it's worth betraying PF Changs to get this stuff. I could leave all the veggies behind, but the meat and the noodles had a really wonderful sweet BBQ flavor. Also, the main reception desk is made of one solid piece of white material that comes down from the second floor, forms the desk, then runs off behind the receptionist where you can sit at it because it's a bar or something. Totes amazeballs!

Nick's Entree: Orange Chicken


Nick: 
Well, I guess orange chicken isn't the most exciting entree, but this was really good; the chicken is prepared tempura style with a fried outer shell with a subtle orange flavor. I ate it all right up. Also, white rice that I don't know what it's for since there's nothing to put on it. I think I once again liked Katie's dish a little bit more than mine, but this was very tasty. I think next time I'm going to be a little more adventurous and get the hamburger ($29!) 

Katie: 
The first one I had was superb. Then I had a small patch that was too tough and I was reminded of why I barely eat meats. I'm not picky. I just don't like to masticate my food for a thousand years. I'm not a sarlaac.

Katie's Desert: Churros


That's nutella in the tube. Nutuba.
Katie:
My nutella came in a tube! Space nutella!!! There was also some vanilla cream for dipping. There were three large churros on the plate so I think this is a dessert you'd want to share since there is so much of it. 

Nick:
Well, this was good, but I'm not really sure how Asian it is; I mean, if you're going to Morimoto's Asia, I'm not like "Churro time!!!!". The nutella on the churros was very nice, but I don't know how a single person would manage to eat all of these. Even with me helping I think Katie only managed to finish two.

Nick

Nick's Desert: Melon Cream Soda Float

Katie:
There were kiwi bubbles in it. POP. That's the sound they make in your mouth. Just don't suck too hard or you'll end up with way too many bubbles in your mouth and you'll be like "how can I handle all these bubbles???" Then you'll drink some of the Ramune and remember why you don't ever drink more than a sip and then Iron Chef Morimoto will look down on you disapprovingly for wasting food at his restaurant.

Nick:
Now this was interesting; it's vanilla ice cream with Ramune melon soda over it, fruit on the bottom, and "boba pearls". What the heck is a boba pearl? It tastes like a hollow berry with kiwi juice inside of it that explodes in your mouth with a very intense kiwi taste. I'm normally not a kiwi fan, but that's more texture than anything else, and the kiwi explosion every time one of these went off was a very pleasant experience texture-wise, not to mention tasting great. Even without the boba pearls, the vanilla ice cream along with the mango soda tasted surprisingly good; with it, this is one of my favorite deserts we've had and I ate the whole thing even after helping Katie with her massive churros. A+!










Restaurant #2 Rainforest Cafe (again)
Location: Disney Springs

Katie and Nick's dish: South China Chicken Salad

Katie:
Delicious! I even enjoyed the orange slices in the salad, even though I found the choice odd on the menu. There was enough dressing for every bite to have a taste without the salad swimming in a lake. I was eyeing Nick's remaining salad after I'd finished mine so I could have even more.

Nick:
Wow, this thing is big. I should have put a fork or something in the picture to demonstrate just how huge this salad is. This is the biggest entree salad I've ever had, and it's really good; grilled chicken over lettuce, fried Chinese noodles, wonton strips and little carrot slices. I'm wary of salads with either limp lettuce (I despise field greens for this reason) or with too much dressing that makes the greens squishy, but this was perfect; slathered with ranch dressing (I guess they love ranch in South China?) but still very nice and crunchy. I ate the whole thing too fast. (Except the orange slices. They were my ally cooling my mouth down last time we were here when I had the spicy stir fry, but they weren't needed this time.)

Dessert: Root Beer Float

Katie:
Now this is how you do a root beer float!  The glass was heavily ice creamed with a generous splash of root beer (really the root beer is there to add flavoring to the vanilla ice cream, it's not meant to be a drink...at least the way I like it) and we were each given the remaining root beer in an IBC bottle. I quite enjoyed this dessert, even though it was basically something I could have made myself. Next visit, I'll switch between this and the mango sorbet if both are still on the dessert menu. 

Nick:
Very generous on the ice cream and root beer. I'm not sure IBC root beer would have been my first choice (maybe something sweeter like A&W or Mug), but I'm really just picking the smallest of nits here; it's a large helping of vanilla ice cream with a whole bottle of root beer on top. Can't go wrong!

2 comments:

  1. Is a boba pearl tapioca? The whole float looks VERY odd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very odd. I'm not 100% sure what the pearl was - I know if you go to the mall and get bubble tea it has tapioca pearls, but when I had some of those they were like solid dough and didn't taste like anything, while these were hollow and blew up like little kiwi grenades.

    ReplyDelete