9.20.2017

Walker's Toffee: The Quickening

Product: Walker's Assorted Toffees and Chocolate Eclairs
Origin: England

First looks

Katie:
Oh man, more Walker's toffee. Hopefully this won't be as hard to chew. I chose the banana split flavor. It smells plasticy, not at all like bananas.  The feel is just as hard as the last time too. Oh geez, Rick.

Nick:
Well, I'm a little uncertain about these. The last time we tried Walker's toffee it tasted great but it was a pain to chew. This time I'm thinking it's going to be easier just because these are bite-sized instead of trying to tear super-dense toffee off a big chunk, but the flavors... I mean, chocolate and toffee doesn't sound too weird, but when you start getting into banana split and chocolate eclair flavor, that's a little weird.

Post-bite thoughts

Katie:
Much better. I let it melt in my mouth for a few seconds before chewing and it softened right up.  Still not sure what was terribly banana split about it but it was nice. If my imaginary grandma offered me some, I'd be glad to politely take one. I don't this is something I'd be craving after a long day at work. It's fine.

Nick:
These are great! My teeth can actually chew these. In addition to being smaller, these are much softer, and you can either bite 'em in half or just chew the whole thing. Flavor wise, these aren't quite as tasty as the plain straight-up toffee, but they're still pretty good; I don't know what a chocolate eclair tastes like in England, but this tasted more like toffee with a very slight caramel undertone. I'd eat these by the handful.

PS: It was only when I opened the jar to get another that I was assaulted by the extremely worrying plastic smell Katie described earlier. I have no idea what's causing this - the jug being made of cheap plastic? - but it luckily has nothing to do with the taste. It kind of smells like Duane's Toyland, remember that? You'd walk in the front door and get assaulted by the cheap plastic smell of all the action figures. I had a bunch of those pre-molded knights near the checkout where they're all on horses or hitting each other with maces. I wonder whatever happened to those.

PPS from Katie: Knowing you, they're probably in a box because you never get rid of anything. I'm surprised we don't have vintage diapers somewhere.  But yeah, Duane's Toyland was great! It was the first place--even before the Lego store at Disney--that I saw a Lego statue of something.

PPPS from Nick: Having risked severe brain damage by taking the biggest sniff I could, the smell is toffee and cheap chocolate. I also tried a "milk chocolate" one and it's not good, dog. Walker's, if you're reading this, the toffee's delicious; it doesn't need the crappy chocolate crapping everything up on here. Also, I might want those boxes for 15 year old PC games I lost the disks to someday. (That last part is for Katie, not Walker's.) (But don't take my 15 year old PC game boxes either Walker's)

No comments:

Post a Comment