9.22.2017

Cheese and Caramel: together at...last

Product: Smartfood Popcorn: Caramel and Cheddar mix
Origin: Canada

First looks

Nick:
Smartfood white cheddar popcorn is probably my favorite snack of all time, but all the other Smartfood flavors have been kind of a letdown, and I'm afraid this doesn't really look much better; why are the caramel and cheddar mixed together???? I'm not a big fan of candy coating on popcorn to begin with, and the neon orange cheddar doesn't look super appealing either. I'm just imagining the flavors fighting to the death on my tongue, inflicting massive collatoral nastiness all over the arena of my mouth. Canada, why did you do this? This might be okay if I go through and throw out all the caramel popcorn. Maybe.

Katie:
The bag smells like the specially formulated peepee cat food we have to feed our cats. Maybe this contains the same UTI preventive medicine. Now that we have our appetites whetted by thinking about cat pee and UTIs, let's move on to preparing to eat this. Nick covered what the food looks like so I'll comment on the flavors. I'm not a big fan of regular Smartfood so I'm a little worried about the cheddar flavor. I have liked county fair caramel popcorn before so maybe that part will be good. My hesitant peek into the bag yielded a near total view of neon orange kernels, however.

Post-bite thoughts

Nick:
The cheddar isn't bad; it's nowhere near as good as the white cheddar in the black Smartfood bag, but it's okay, if a little stale-tasting. The caramel surprised me with how good it is, I think because the coating on it is very light. Together, though... hoo boy. These do not combine well. It tastes weird and salty and stale and kind of bitter. Why are these in the same bag?? Who thought this was a good idea??? WHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYY


Katie:
On its own, the cheddar piece was fine. The kernel was what you'd expect from popcorn with the flavoring neither too heavy or light. The caramel piece on its own was quite delicious. I was admittedly trepidacious to try them together. What fresh hell am I subjecting myself to, I thought. I picked one piece of each to try together.  My results were surprising--I liked it. Maybe I'm already prepped for the discordant taste of sweet and not sweet because I really like dipping apple slices in Ken's Asian Sesame dressing and dunking Mickey D's fries into my vanilla milkshakes. In order to be a smidge scientific about it, I tried to duplicate my results by trying the same combo again...I still liked it. I even still liked it with two cheddars and one caramel. So...yeah. I finally have a popcorn snack to munch while I read in Nick's room and studiously tune out any attempts at communication because I'm reading gosh darnit.

PS from Nick: Now I know what Katie felt like when I enjoyed the green goo bar.

PPS from Katie: How dare you. That was unfood for trash pandas.

No comments:

Post a Comment