9.14.2017

Bruschette Bites

Product: Bruschette Bites--Tomato, Olives, and Oregano
Origin: Bulgaria

First looks

Katie:
When I saw these in the store, they piqued my interest. I thought they'd be crunchy pizza-ish tasting snacks from Michigan or something. They are made in Bulgaria. Seriously. Whaaaaaaat? I'm not doubting Bulgaria can make excellent food, I'm just surprised. Fingers crossed.  PS I've always spelled and have seen it spelled in restaurants with an A despite the bag spelling it with two Es. Is it a regional thing like pop versus soda?

Nick:
Why are there olives in this? I don't have my PhD in bruschetta yet, but I've never had it with olives. The smell is also extremely weird, so I'm worried about these. The texture at least looks nice - these look like tiny little pieces of garlic bread, which I suppose is right on. That smell, though. I feel like Agent Smith in that scene where he's talking to Morpheus and he's like "THE SMELL!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Post-bite thoughts

Nick:
I'm seriously impressed with these. They don't taste at all like the weird odor they emit; they actually taste like, well, garlic bread with tomato, and the texture really feels like, well, garlic bread. I think I actually like these quite a bit. I mean, something from a bag is never going to be as good as fresh garlic bread with real tomatoes and cheese on it, but this is pretty dang close. I feel like Agent Smith in a deleted scene where for some reason he's eating bruschetta bites out of a bag and he's pleasantly surprised by how authentic they taste.

Katie:
The crunch is good, not too mouth-destroying like a giant bowl of Froot Loops can be. The taste, as Nick mentioned, is like garlic bread and tomatoes without crossing the line into an obliviously fake food taste. If you see these, pick them up if you like bruschetta.

No comments:

Post a Comment