9.26.2017

Destroyer of Potatoes

Product: Turbana Plantain Chips Chili Lime flavor
Origin: Medellin, Columbia

First looks

Nick:
The back of the bag brags that they're going to make potato chips run for cover, but I don't think they will have much to fear from these. Plantain chips? Okay, I'll bite (no pun intended). Chili lime chips? Sure. Chili lime plantain chips? You lost me, fam. These look like they're gonna be hard and nasty and they smell like stale banana. I don't have high hopes for these.

Katie:
My esteemed colleague captured the smell perfectly. The chips look like bananas but more of a hard yellow. I cannot remember trying plantains before but I'm sure I have at some point. I don't know what to expect so I'm setting my expectations to zero. Hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Post-bite thoughts

Nick:
Emphasis on the chili. These are spicy! All I taste is spice. Just burning my poor mouth. No lime taste, definitely no banana or plantain taste. No sir, I don't like these. I'll admit freely I'm a spice wimp, but I couldn't even finish three of these without suffering mightily. These might sell better if they were rebranded as like Destroy Your Mouth chips for heat freaks. Hard pass.

Katie:
My first chip was okay. My second chip firebombed my mouth with spice. It's like having a full handful of Kaki no Tane but without the cooling peanuts mixed in (I know, I typically don't like nuts but you need those peanuts to counterbalance the spice). If you can handle spice and regularly consume scotch bonnets, get these but if you're at all wimpy on spice...maybe get regular plantain chips? Oh no, we don't have enough text to get to the end of the picture!!!! Uh, weezle wuzzle?

No comments:

Post a Comment