9.18.2017

Wai Lana Chips

Product: Wai Lana Chips Thai Curry and Lime
Origin: Not even Hawaii (California)

First looks

Katie:
Another proudly gluten free product--they're made from cassava which is...a root of some kind? My chip is shaped like a caldera with bubble wrap-like markings on both sides. It looks lighter than a potato chip with absolutely no smell that I can detect but my nose is also pretty allergy'd up from my cat being on top of me for the past 15 minutes. Thanks, Greg.

Nick:
Can a snack that proudly yells on the back of the bag that it has NO GMO, preservatives, cholesterol, artificial color, artificial flavor, wheat, soy, diary or gluten be any good? I'm willing to entertain the notion; these chips have a funky shape and what looks like an interesting texture, but I'm a little worried about the flavor; Thai curry seems like it's just going to be cheap spice, and as for the lime, I can't really say I've ever been eating chips and excitedly shouted "I sure wish these were lime flavored!!!!" How about, like, BBQ? They make gluten free fake BBQ powder to put on cassava chips, I'm sure. Well, I'm gonna give these a try. Don't let me down Wai Lana, I don't want to have to type something like "Wai Lana, more like I no wanna these chips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Post-bite thoughts

Katie:
You know those big vats of chocolate in cartoons and whatever? Okay, picture that but with chips in it. A severe woman in a lab coat walks by on a catwalk, studiously peering into the vat. She sprinkles three specks of curry powder over the chips then nods to an assistant--a nervous-looking young man in a sweater vest--who quickly adds one bit of lime zest to the vat. That's how these taste...a skosh of Thai curry and a smidge of lime so not so much with the taste. They aren't bad, merely acceptable.

Nick:
Swing and a miss. The texture on these is really nice - light, crunchy, airy. But the taste... there's no taste on these, fam. They're like puffed air. I did not detect even a single molecule of Thai curry or lime. Am I expecting too much taste from snacks? I mean, this isn't like "Oh, the curry taste is mild," there's no taste at all. I guess that in itself is kind of impressive if you think about it - the snack with zero taste! Maybe they should put that on the bag underneath the list of other items not included in this snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment