12.20.2017

Fritos...but from Mexico

Product: Fritos--Sabor: Sal y Limon
Origin: Mexico

First looks

Nick:
Salt and lemon Fritos. Yup. Uh, they smell like slightly stale Fritos. I'm not really a big salty Frito fan (I like that BBQ Ranch like all right thinking people), and I'm not sure lime really goes with a salty snack, um, shape. On the plus side, I learned a new word from the package: Nixtamalized. This corn has been nixtamalized! It's so new even Chrome's spellcheck doesn't recognize it! (Then again, Chrome's spellcheck is so dumb it sometimes doesn't know common words like "doctor" so I guess that's not saying much). Nixtamalize my taste buds, Mexican salt and lemon Fritos!

Katie:
At the time of this writing, I am plagued by various germs. My nose is stopped up so I can't comment on the smell. The chip looks like a normal Frito but maybe bigger? It's been a long time since I've had these. This is one of those childhood staple foods that you just stop having one day then you see it in the store years later and wonder why you stopped eating it. Then you have one and you're like "I had horrible taste as a child". Like right now, they added The Real Ghostbusters to Netflix and I watched one today. I remember really liking the show and having a weird kid crush on Egon (those pink lapels, vortex hair, and tiny red glasses really did it for me, I guess) but now it's like all the voices are strange and overly cartoony and it's not as good. So hopefully these Fritos will not be that.
PS who else watched the ghostbusters with the gorilla???

Post-bite thoughts

Nick:
My weird kid crushes were the Baroness from GI Joe and She-Ra (He-Man's sister! For the honor of Greyskull!). I have the opposite of a crush on this particular snack, which I'm afraid is rather ruined by the lemon; it's just unpleasently bitter and tastes like someone lemon farted on some perfectly good Fritos. Not for me, dude. Maybe if you were eating some kind of meal and you wanted to accompany it with gross bitter salty Fritos, but I can't imagine what that would be. Yuck.

Katie:
It tasted like bad salt. Maybe I just don't like Fritos anymore or this sickness is messing with my sense of taste (smell is an important component of taste, I think) but this was a big nope from me. I'm sure there's someone out there who likes lemon Fritos but it's not us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment