1.02.2018

Patate Douce avec Sel de mer

Product: Covered Bridge--Sweet Potato with sea salt
Origin: New Brunswick, Canada

First looks

Katie:
Sea salt is the new food buzzword, I see. It's all over the place now. Does salt from the sea have a discernible difference than salt from...the other places salt is from? I mean, there must be something special about it as products are name-checking the sea as the spot they sourced their salt from.
The chips look suitable sweet potato-y but mostly smell of salt, which is to be expected since sweet potatoes don't really have a smell. Fingers crossed!

Nick:
Okay guys, don't laugh, but I didn't know that New Brunswick was a whole state (excuse me, province) up in Canada. We have a New Brunswick NJ down here that's just a city, and I didn't realize in Canada it's a whole thing. That might be the most interesting thing about these (and I realize that's not saying much); I don't really love sweet potato chips, and these look like pretty typical sweet potato chips. You know what I like? Thin cut sweet potato french fries. Johnny Rocket's has the best ones. I'll be surprised if these are half as good as those.

Post-bite thoughts

Katie:
I thought they were medium good. The chips really taste like sweet potato but I think the sea salt kind of ruins it. Sweet potatoes, to me at least, have a great natural flavor. The salt is overpowering it. I had a chip without the salt and enjoyed it far better than the salted chips. Let's see what Nick thinks, though. He eats way more chips than me.

Nick:
Either a lifetime of salty snacks has desensitized my mouth, or I just got a few handfuls of chips without salt, because I'd have believed you if you told me these were no-salt chips. They're not bad; they basically just taste like sweet potato, although some of them have an undercurrent of, dare I say it, being a little burned. Not really for me; if you want sweet potato chips I'd recommend these, but I think I'm going to stick with that Utz butter popcorn that always destroys my stomach. (satan laughing emoji)

Epilogue:
Nick never enjoyed Utz Butter Popcorn again due to wife veto.

No comments:

Post a Comment