3.22.2021

Creamy Truffle Penne

Food prep and cooking

Katie:

I misread teaspoon as tablespoon and vice versa at least three times while cooking. Luckily, I noticed before we actually measured out the ingredients. I thought the prep was straightforward this time but we did leave a few things out. I'm sorry, I will eat something with peas or mushrooms in it if someone else makes it and they're only a tiny amount...but I'm don't want to add them myself. Plus what does a pea even taste like? Nobody is like, "damn, gotta have some tasty ass pea-flavoring on my food!". Mushrooms I get because they are flavorful...just oddly and wrongly textured for my mouth.

Also, whatever kind of coconut milk that comes in a can as a thick, fluffy paste tastes pretty good. Even Nick liked it and he's notoriously not about coconuts, coconut flakes, or things flavored with/by coconuts.

Nick:

I have to agree with Katie; I've never taken a bite of something and been like "This sure could use some disgusting, mushy peas!". Admittedly, I'm sure they're good if you slather enough butter and salt on them, but you can probably make an old boot okay enough to choke down if you slather enough butter and salt on it. Fuck off, peas. Prep for this was pretty easy; throw peas in the garbage, cook some pasta, roast some veggies and combine them all in the sauce. 

Post-meal thoughts

Katie:

We yet again had trouble getting the sauce to thicken up. We don't have a full array of pans and pots so maybe we used one that was too small. The sauce being more liquidy than creamy didn't take away from the flavor. It was good--the truffle zest and mushroom concentrate gave it a savory, earthy flavor that I really liked. The roasted veggies were a great addition, giving surprise bursts of flavor. I'd order this again in our box for sure.

Nick:

This was pretty good! I'm not sure I've had creamy pasta and sauce before, and this was very tasty; who'd have thought I would have enjoyed coconut milk and my old buddy mushroom stock topping some pasta? That being said, I don't know if I would get this again; it was good, but for the amount of work we put in, I would probably just make ziti and crack open a jar of pre-made red sauce with a lot of garlic in it. Like Katie I liked getting a bite with tomato, but it got a little annoying trying to make sure there was one in every bite. If nothing else, these meals are making me appreciate roasted grape tomatoes. To improve this dish... hmm, I am kind of at a loss here; it's fine, it does everything it sets out to do. If you could order it out of a replicator, that would be great, but we're talking about the same company that sent us a free sample of yogurt in the box but put it UNDER the heavy ingredient bag where it exploded, so I'm trying to stick with the possible here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment