3.17.2021

Barbecue Chickpea Bowls

Food prep and cooking

Katie:

Our corn was forgotten. Sadly waiting for us forever on a rainy park bench, never to be part of a meal or be digested by us.

So...did you know chickpeas can explode? Pop right out of the pan like reverse parachuters? Today I learned.

Nick:

We had a bit of trouble with this recipe, to be fair as a result of not reading ahead; originally the chickpeas go into a bowl, and I used a small one, only to then have to put the kale in there, soften it (which I still don't know how to do), then add more stuff and toss it, which meant I had to change bowls. THEN, we had to use the large sauté pan, which for us is a wok, but then we had to put it in the oven and it's so large it won't fit so we had to change pans!! Also, they forgot our corn. Also also, the chickpeas started exploding, which I totally knew they could do and wasn't surprised by and didn't yell "AAAAAAAH" when the first one blew up and also I'm extremely brave and handsome.

Post-meal thoughts

Katie:

I have to admit, we had some timing issues and we still don't quite have this whole cooking thing down so I was expecting the chick peas to be crunchy, the flavor to be nonexistent, and to be really missing the corn.

But after eating, I can say I barely noticed the corn wasn't there. I was skeptical of the hot stuff going on top of the kale but it made sense together. I did force myself to eat all the kale first, even after mixing everything, to get it out of the way in order to enjoy the rest. Always eat the worst thing first, kids, then you can enjoy what you actually like in peace. Nick is the opposite; he eats his French fries first then the hamburger. I can see the argument there based on the fries being best piping hot but that's why you stuff the burger in your face real fast. Get all that meat-osity out of the way so you can take your time dipping your McD's fries into your milkshake.

Oh yeah, it was good. Not my favorite but I'd eat it again.

Nick:

Well, I think my order of eating fries and burgers has just been described very diplomatically; normally instead of "opposite", I am informed that the way I am eating them is "wrong," "dumb," and that the seagulls will be her friends because she is throwing them French fries. So we're making progress!

As for this dish, you can't really go wrong combining barbeque sauce and ranch dressing; even the combined forces of kale (boo!) and a lot of onion couldn't make this dish go too far wrong. I'd say three out of four stars. To improve this dish, I would actually have all of the ingredients we paid for in the bag, and maybe a little less onion (we got half a good sized onion each, which is quite a lot of onion for me). Despite enjoying this meal, I'm not sure I would have this again; it kind of just makes me want a really good BBQ sauce and ranch burger and nice thick steak fries, which I would eat burger first so my fries aren't given to the seagulls (who, by the way, are just USING you for your French fries! Wake up sheeple!)

Potato digression:

Katie: 

Fries on the cusp of being too thick
Steak fries are too thick. They're too close to being a baked potato but then they taste wrong. I feel like
if a fry is thicker than my pinky, that's too thick. Potatoes can be chunked for soup, whole for baked, smashed for the mash, or stripped for fries. I think twice-baked potatoes were kind of a big deal there for a while at some point in the past but I don't know if that was legitimate potato-bakery or a marketing gimmick. Read on to hear all of Nick's incorrect opinions!

Nick:

All right, you all heard it here; if you dare make steak fries or make the fries too thick, Katie's legion of loyal seagulls will swoop down and arrest you for illegitimate potato-bakery. Also, "Potato digression" sounds like an ironic prog rock band. 

No comments:

Post a Comment