3.15.2021

Creamy Corn & Potato Chowder

Food prep and cooking

Nick: 
Pretty easy! Aside from the croutons (cutting up bread and baking it in the oven), basically what you would think of when making a stew: Start with the carrots and potatoes, and as it cooks keep adding veggies until you're down to the wet ingredients (mushroom stock concentrate and coconut cream with corn). Katie even hand-minced the garlic, which is a real pain in the ass. At least it was peeled!

Katie: 
We didn't get our paper recipes this week so were using digital copies I'd requested from Green Chef. This left Nick and I to split the cooking tasks more so than we have been. Nick worked the stovetop and oven while I chopped and minced. I even correctly eyeballed the salt once (don't tell Nick!). There's a lot of "salt and pepper to taste" at the end of these recipes, which I never do. I never add salt or pepper to food that is made for me. I trust the chef to know what they are doing!

Post-meal thoughts

Nick: 
I also have a little trouble with the end step being "salt and pepper to taste"; I don't know what this is supposed to taste like! That's your job, bish! I'm not all sipping a little bit off a spoon like "Needs a pinch of salt"! If I knew that much I wouldn't be subscribing to a box that sends you all the ingredients! Anyway, this was really good; we probably could have stood to cook the potatoes a minute or two longer, but it produced a very nice, hearty, vegetable-y stew. This would have been great on a cold winter night, although come to think of it, it's still pretty cold out. To improve this dish, and I know we have the no-meat Green Chef option, just a little bit of smoky bacon would have really taken this to the next level.

Katie:
It's CHOW-DAH! Say it right, Frenchie! 
Juniper (closest) and Winston (furthest) in a
cuddle puddle. Not pictured: all the allergens

I thought this was delicious and hearty. I enjoyed discovering a bread piece in between massive spoonfuls of potato and corn. I didn't mind the texture of the potatoes. Too squishy and they'd be mashed, not good for soup. I appreciated the bit of firmness to them. As Nick said, a really great wintery meal. This is the type of soup where I'd also seek it out when my allergies are bothering me and I need to decongest a little bit (I'm allergic to our precious babies--Winston and Juniper). I realize that probably sounds gross but I promise, it's a high compliment. I actually find myself wishing I had just a little more right now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment