5.12.2021

Greek Farro Salad

Food prep and cooking

Katie:

I missed a good portion of the cooking due to work. I mainly just tested the farro to see if it was done and mixed things in at the end. Nick did a great job handling the bulk of the prep and cooking!

Nick:

Pretty easy; most of the cook time was waiting for the farro to cook and the chickpeas to roast in the oven. There was a step this time I've never done before where after the chickpeas got rinsed, they were put between two layers of paper towels, vigorously rubbed, and the chickpea, uh, outer skin layer had to be manually picked off. That was a little annoying. Otherwise, mostly reading Reddit while the chickpeas roast. None of them exploded this time at least!

Post-meal thoughts

Katie:

I thought this was pretty decent. The last time we had a Mediterranean dish, we weren't fans. I don't always like feta, I'd was skeptical of the roasted chickpeas too. The chickpeas turned out to be my favorite element in the dish. I enjoyed coming across some crunchy goodness between treasure hunts for a pepper slice or tomato half. The farro seems to be there mainly to fill out the dish rather than add any real flavoring. I'd select this again if it comes up in the meal rotation but I wouldn't go out of my way to order it in a restaurant.

Nick:

Not bad! I was a little disappointed that after carefully cooking and seasoning the farro, veggies, and chickpeas, the end taste of the product was the huge amount of tzatziki sauce we were directed to dump on the dish at the end. Just unloading two barrels of tzatziki all over the place. The best bite was when you got a squishy but flavorful half baby tomato, crunchy yellow pepper piece, nice and charred salty chickpea, and also there farro (as Katie pointed out, it mostly seems to be there to fill out the dish). Like Katie, I think I would probably make this again, but I didn't love it enough so that I wanted more when I was done. Perfectly acceptable. Also, we skipped the zucchini, because barf. To improve this dish, I would add another bell pepper (eating one in every bite, I still ran out before the end) and maybe roast the veggies a little bit; I think throwing them on the baking sheet for a few minutes with a little salt and olive oil on them would make them taste even better. Although then the peppers wouldn't be as crunchy. I have to end this review now, my cat woke up and wants me to pet him.

No comments:

Post a Comment