6.21.2021

Savory-Sweet Chicken Teriyaki Bowl

We switched to a new meal service. We skipped two deliveries from Blue Apron. In those two weeks, we realized we don't really enjoy cooking during the week at all. A quick stir fry or some spaghetti? Yes, please. Spending 30-40 minutes or more cooking a dish we didn't even like? Thanks but no thanks.

Freshly provides a menu of relatively freshly prepared microwaveable dinners. We were very excited to try our first meal, picking the meal we thought we'd like the most to go first.

Post-meal thoughts:

Nick:

What the heck is this? This is not savory sweet. Why, I don't detect even a hint of teriyaki! I'm afraid Freshly stumbled right out of the gate; this just tasted like rice and chicken. There may have been a single atom of savory-sweet teriyaki somewhere in the universe of this dish, but it never came across my tongue. What a letdown. Katie asked if we like missed a sauce packet you were supposed to stir in or something, and that's a reasonable question, because this had absolutely zero taste. I hope we haven't made a terrible mistake. 

Katie:

At first, I thought it was good. I must have gotten a few bites with the one splash of teriyaki either of our dishes got. There wasn't much flavor but I could taste something. But then. I ate more. And a little more. Suddenly, all I was tasting was rice with broccoli. The chicken, which I actually thought was quite tender and enjoyed for once, betrayed me with one of those gross pieces where something is popping and resisting in your mouth. What. The. Fuck. This is why I can't stand more than a few bites of meat before feeling like I want to barf. I know McDonald's gets a lot of shit for McNuggets and burgers but at least I can eat them without shit popping in my mouth.

I'm wondering if the pasta dishes I got for the rest of the week will be good. Perhaps it's just these chicken bowls that are going to be bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment